The Nymphenburg manufactory has always engaged the best artists and designers of each specific period. Theodor Kärner (1884 – 1906), who created almost half of the animal collection, was schooled by the well-known animal painter Heinrich von Zügel. One of Kärner's best works is the peacock from 1906. Wilhelm Neuhäuser (1885 – 1960) specialized in forest animals such as frogs, snails, and mice (1910), the last is included in the new assortment of bisque figures.
Started by Elector Max III Joseph of the royal Bavarian Wittelsbach family on November 1, 1747, Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg is one of the only porcelain manufactories that produces each object truly by hand, exactly as it was when the company started production in the 1800s. The factory uses only water power generated by streams running through the grounds of the factory and produces its own secret recipe of paste made of kaolin, feldspar, and quartz to produce exquisite and extremely pure, hard porcelain. All products are hand-painted by master painters -some having apprenticed for up to 15 years– using Nymphenburg’s paint laboratory which holds original secret formulas for approximately 15,000 different colors and hues.
Nymphenburg’s pieces can be found in the collections of Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, MoMA, the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, the Fondation Nationale in Paris, the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, and the Neue Sammlung at the Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich.